Legacy architectures often use synchronous, batch, scheduled communications, performing pooling – which results in waiting time for responses and costs of using computing resources.
This communication model presents constraints to achieving the agility and scalability required by digital businesses, which need to operate in complex partners and internal application ecosystems.
In these contexts, the ability to respond in real-time to threats and opportunities can dramatically improve the customer experience and business results.
This requires competence in propagating, capturing, analyzing, and reacting immediately to ecosystem events using event-driven architecture (EDA) and asynchronous communications.
More than agility and scalability for digital business, event-driven architectures also enable extensibility, resiliency, and reductions in computational costs.
These qualities impact an organization’s ability to innovate, which can be accelerated or constrained by the IT architecture – which should enable changes, tests and releases to be executed quickly.
EDAs are based on stand-alone components, which when altered or in case of failure have minimal impact on the environment and achieve faster recovery. Thus, EDAs reduce costs and risks, boosting innovation.
In addition, new technologies such as IoT, AI, Microservices and Blockchain are already event-driven. Being familiar with EDA favors the adoption of these new technologies.
Event-driven architectures do not completely eliminate request-response interactions. Both approaches are necessary, complementary, depending on the scenario and the business need.
Properly combined, these approaches allow you to react and capitalize on “digital business moments” in real-time, leverage digital ecosystems by propagating events to all participants, and build a modern integration architecture capable of sustaining the rapid pace of innovation required by digital businesses.
Examples of Business Cases with EDA
- Using EDA in the Payment Medium, it is possible to:
- Generate card fraud notifications much faster to warn the consumers concerned and everyone involved in the transaction
- Notify purchasing data in a more simplified way for many different applications
- Equalize different systems through a single call with the occurrences
Event Driven Architecture enabling Omnichannel Retail experiences:
- Data equalization acceleration, not requiring a single API for all customer-facing systems
- Using events to communicate involved in sales of a marketplace (Logistics, Seller, Consumer, etc.)
Getting the most out of IoT with Event-Driven:
- Use of Beacon events for quick decision making in physical stores
- Data capture from various devices such as connected cars for decision making with artificial intelligence
Why are there so few companies using Event-Driven architectures?
Despite the mentioned benefits of EDAs, IT teams face difficulties in adopting this architectural model due to:
- Lack of available tools (and existing ones offer low productivity and difficulty in deploying and maintaining)
- Monitoring, testing, and troubleshooting bring some challenges that require certain care due to the more open character of this architectural model
- Lack of common standards and best practices
- Lack of training available and experienced professionals in this model
Have you met Sensedia Events Hub?
Sensedia Events Hub is a solution to enable event-driven architectures, which offer features such as:
- Registration of publishers/subscribers;
- Mechanisms to guarantee delivery and re-tries;
- Call queuing;
- Application of security policies and resources;
- Event management (logs, metrics…);
- Integration with Sensedia’s API Management Platform;
- Low-Code Interface, which ensures greater productivity;
In addition, Sensedia has a specialized consulting team and accelerators for Event-driven, Request-driven, Microservices / Mesh Architectures and strategies with APIs, in order to support clients in the optimized combination of these approaches and achieve a modern, integrated, secure, agile, monitored IT architecture – able to boost the strategies of digital business.
Sensedia Consulting Playbook
Want to know more?
- Sensedia Events Hub
- Event Driven Architecture, Events e Async APIs. WTF? – Sensedia
- Entendendo Sobre Event Driven Standards – Sensedia